I didn't know what to name this blog. I'm processing lots right now and wanting to get it all out... We've been doing tons of involuntary renovations to our home over the last few weeks and because I'm home I've been doing the calling, setting up appointments, being here for questions, talking with the insurance and making decisions. It's been okay but, definitely not my area of expertise. Yesterday I was over at a friends house and she asked how I've been doing with the whole thing and I told her, "It's fine, I just keep telling myself 2 more weeks and it will be done and I'll get my house back!"
Yesterday we left the house because they were painting the ceiling and walls of the dining room. Being pregnant I didn't want to be around the fumes all day AND I knew it wouldn't be easy to keep the kids away from the paint and painters AND our refrigerator broke on Saturday so all the contents are in the garage making it hard to do normal family life. So, we packed up and left. Before leaving I arranged for the painters to pick up paint at Lowe's - I used the paint code from a previous painting project, called gave them the numbers on the lid of the quart and thought everything would be fine.
I came home last night, walked into the dining room and was devastated to find they had painted the wrong color. I wanted Restoration Hardware color "Silver Sage" and instead got a gray cement block. I lost it. I checked both cans and the number matched, the type of paint was identical and still the color was so wrong! I totally balled for an hour. Obviously it wasn't just the fact that the room would need to be repainted...it was everything adding up to that moment and being pregnant there was no stopping the flood gates once they were open! Leyton was in bed but, Adriah was awake. She was so concerned and asked me, "Mommy, are these happy tears or sad tears?" I told her sad tears and then told her why and saying it out loud to my daughter made me realize how ridiculous the whole thing was.
I decided there was nothing I could do so, I went to bed.
At 2pm I got up with the awful realization at what had happened. I had read the label of the color and she matched the color...only I read the label of a quart and she mixed the quart color amounts into a gallon of paint. Obviously, the color was totally diluted. Not Lowe's fault at all but, I did not know this even though now it seems so obvious. I spent most of the night trying to get over the bummer of the whole situation...yes, I lost sleep over it!
Matt didn't get home from his meeting until after I had gone to bed so I had to tell him everything this morning. His reaction was classic, "Well, it's no ones fault we'll just get more paint and redo the room." That's my man...steady.
We're fixing the fridge today, hanging the new chandelier tomorrow, repainting this week and next Monday and Tuesday our new floors will be installed. Then next Wednesday the post cleaning will be done and Thursday is Christmas Eve...i will have my house back by Christmas. Whew.
Thanks for listening. I hope there's a valuable lesson in here for someone else.