Gluten Free - Banana Oatmeal Muffins (no flour, no oil) ...and still tastes good. Do you have gluten free friends or friends of your kids that have allergies? Here's an easy (and healthy) snack to serve! I originally got the recipe from NateandRachel.com but I made some alterations and gave us some tried and true freedom with the recipe.
Why do i love this recipe?
- prepped in one bowl
- ready in 20 min
- yummy as snack or breakfast
Gluten Free - Banana Oatmeal Muffins (no flour, no oil)
- 2.5 cups oats (you can mix in flour if you want)
- 1 cup yogurt - Greek, plain, normal or even applesauce works in a pinch. (My personal fav. is the honey Greek Yogurt from Trader Joe's...it adds a smoothness to the muffins...just sayin')
- 2 eggs (You can use ground flax instead. 3 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon ground flax = 1 egg)
- 1/2 cup sugar white or brown (I've used 1/4 cup of brown sugar and it's still plenty sweet. Regular yogurt has more sugar than the greek yogurt called for in the original recipe)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 bananas
- topping: I love the crunch of protein granola on top of the muffins. Super yummy
- optional: 2 hand-fulls of semi sweet chocolate chips (why wouldn't you?), I have added ground flax seed and chia seeds for more goodness.
I have made these as muffins and as a bread (it depends on which pan is closer:) and it works both ways; just as yummy.
- Preheat oven to 400F and prepare a muffin pan by using spray, butter or my fav. is organic coconut oil...or lining them with paper liners. Set aside.
- Add all ingredients into one bowl. (yes, the fact that wet and dry ingredients don't have to be separated is my fav. part of the recipe)
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each cavity until it is about ¾ full. Don't forget to ad the "optional" topping for extra crunch!
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops of your muffins are set and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan for ~10 minutes before removing. Store in an air-tight container for up to a week.
Enjoy and share this recipe!