My four year old (will be five next week) daughter loves to dress up! Any outfit will do. she loves princess of course but, she also loves being a chef, a gardener, a lion, a superhero...you name it! A while back I let her dress up in whatever she wanted (A huge deal at our house!) and then I took pictures of her. She's loves to be dramatic so I thought, "Why not?" Here's pictures from our Cinderella shoot:
Gotta love the Bethany Church tattoo on her arm - I didn't photoshop it out on purpose cause it makes me laugh every time!
My gorgeous girl...where did you get those amazing lashes!???
- I shot everything right beside the biggest windows I could find...keeping my ISO low (100-400)
- I didn't use direct sunlight but defused light. (I love soft light on kids skin making them more innocent looking)
- I always had her chin pointed slightly towards the window - often by asking her to look outside. ( I like being able to see both eyes and not have shadows covering one.)
- To get character shots I would ask her about Cinderella, "Was she happy to clean?" "What else did Cinderella clean?" (She loves playing a part so why not let her and capture it?)
- Shoot something the subject is interested in. She loved seeing these pictures as I was taking them and she kept asking me to shoot more! (she picked it and when she was done with the shoot so was I - well, not really but, I chose to be!)
Have fun with your camera and your kids! It's really an incredible thing!