There's nothing like a good top 5 right? I want to share some of my favorite spots around the cities to capture stunning backgrounds while focusing on a family or friend or even pet! (why not?) 1. Look for a spot around your home. (specifically backyard or front yard) Close by is really important because you will send your kids out to play and they will be adorable and you'll want pictures in a great location. Look for that perfect spot before you need it.
2. One of my new favorite photography locations is "The Landing" in Shakopee, MN. I loved this location so much I did my last Mini Session family photography there this fall. It has a town made up of tons of historic building from the area. The Parks people moved the buildings there so we could enjoy them and they give tours explaining what it was like to live in that era. LOVED IT!
3. The Walker Art Center I've used this location many times in the winter because of it's floor to ceiling windows. But, so have tons of other photographers…so they have more strict rules about photographers shooting now. I'm ok with rules. The last time I was there I had to sign in, get a sticker to show that I had signed in, and they gave me 30 min to shoot and the family has to be 4 or less. Still a great spot for capturing your own kids in awesome light!
4. Look for spots along the path you usually drive. Sound boring? I do this all the time. Any spot that takes my breath away with beauty I make a mental note to return around that time soon. These spots are easy to spot on your normal drive. See how the snow falls and time it perfectly. OR wait until the snow is falling and go!
5. Plan a family event outdoors so that you can get unique family photos…bring a professional photographer with you to capture it! Hmmmm, is this outside your box? Let me explain. How about you check the weather and look for a stretch of days that will be above zero (that's been hard lately, but we still have 4-5 more months of winter so you're good!) then plan a last minute shoot…photographers are bored in the winter anyways! What would be cool to do? and of course, you'd have to ask permission first.
- Tubing or skiing at Buck Hill
- Sledding (no extra costs)
Just typing out these ideas gets me so excited! They would be amazing pictures. Of course, this isn't for a family with a new born but…if you're youngest is adventurous and the weather cooperates, we are golden!
more Tips for great pics!
Wondering at what ages you "should" get pictures of your kids? From my humble opinion I talk all about it here!