One of the best things you can do after you wake up: drink at least 16oz (500mL) of water. Water fires up your metabolism, hydrates you, helps your body flush out toxins, gives your brain fuel, and may even make you eat less. (Full article from ayearofproductivity.com)
I don't know why I didn't know this little stat about having water as soon as you get up in the morning, but I tried it and it works. I usually chug water and I don't feel like drinking when I first get up…kinda makes me gag. BUT, after a couple of minutes I feel the effects! It makes me feel more awake and energized. I drink water as soon as I remember and I usually wait to eat for a bit. (sometimes have coffee in the middle)
Can I eat right away? (I did some checking and here's what I found from menprovement.com)
You should wait at least 15 minutes after drinking your water to eat. The optimal length in Japanese culture is to wait 45 minutes until eating. The “exact protocol” of the Japanese water cure is as followed:
1) As you wake up in the morning before brushing teeth, drink 4 × 160mL glasses of water
2) Brush and clean the mouth but do not eat or drink anything for 45 minutes
3) After 45 minutes you may eat and drink as normal.
4) After 15 minutes of breakfast, lunch and dinner do not eat or drink anything for 2 hours – i.e. you can drink straight after a meal (within the first 15 minutes) but not for 2 hours after that.
5) Those who are old or sick and are unable to drink 4 glasses of water at the beginning may commence by taking little water and gradually increase it to 4 glasses per day. (full article)
I like this article from bodywisdomnutrition.com:
Quick tip for a healthier you:
Drink a glass of water FIRST THING when you wake up in the morning.
Well, brush your teeth first if you’d like, but then down that full cup of water!
Would you be surprised if I told you that the biggest nutrient deficiency in America is water?
We are a chronically dehydrated nation and many of our chronic health complaints, from headaches to constipation to arthritis can be improved by simply drinking enough pure water every day. It makes sense when you think about the fact that our bodies are 70% water, and water is fundamentally important to every system and function of our bodies.
When you wake up in the morning you are at your most dehydrated. You’ve been breathing all night and have lost moisture with each breath since water moistens oxygen for easier breathing. (full article)
Want to try this with me?
It's free, easy, and can't hurt right?
I think by having water first thing I actually feel better, happier and more alert. Who doesn't want that?